Sunday, June 20, 2010

New Recipe

I've been trying out at least one new recipe every week. This week it's Jillian's Fudge Brownie recipe from her Master Your Metabolism Cookbook.

Before I get started, I have to confess, I don't have a lot of organic ingredients on hand. I am trying to transition to organic but I don't the money to throw everything out and start fresh. I do buy bulk items (whole wheat flour, steel cut oats, quinoa, etc) and a lot of fresh fruit and veggies at Sprouts so that I can just buy what I need for a lot cheaper price.

While I was making the brownies, I stumbled upon another treat. One of the steps in the recipe calls for cocoa powder added to heated honey. Of course I had to taste it. This was the mistake or the discovery. (They are often the same,right?). Why couldn't I add a drizzle of this to a peanut butter and banana sandwich or wrap? (Great with Ezekiel bread or Ezekiel tortillas) Or even use it in lieu of chocolate syrup to make a banana split? Oh yeah!

The mixture in the brownie recipe is 2/3 cup honey heated in the microwave until it's runny and bubbling, 45-60 seconds. Then 1/3 cup cocoa powder is mixed in with a fork. This is very sweet so you might want to vary the amounts to taste.

For a banana split I will also use Plain Greek yogurt instead if ice cream and fresh or frozen strawberries and pineapple topped with chopped walnuts or almonds. Yes, I did try this with Greek yogurt. It takes it to a Whole Nutha Level!

By the way, the brownies were good. They were very sweet. Be careful not to overcook them. I'll definitely make them again, especially since they are only 86 calories each. I didn't take a picture because there is a great blog with reviews of Jillian's recipes from MYM and pictures of them since they are none in the cookbook. The address is http://www.lvcavephoto.com/blog/?p=172

No comments:

Post a Comment