Wednesday, October 20, 2010

My HSA Rant

I am now ready to scream.  We just received notification that effective January 1, 2011, OTC (over-the-counter) medications and products will no longer be an eligible HSA (Health Savings Account) expense unless they are prescribed by a physician.  This means I will now have to go to my physician and ask for a prescription for something that she has recommended and that I can buy over-the-counter.  Does that make any sense?  This also means that now I have the added expense of a doctor's visit for this.  Never mind the insanity that will create for the physicians.  I also will not be able to use my HSA Debit card for those purchases. Was this someone's warped idea of  health care reform?  Once again someone is so out of the loop that they really did not care about the ramifications that their decision would have on the masses. All for my little two cents in tax money because my HSA funds are deducted pre-tax.  Looks like I'll need a proctologist after this one. Oh, the glory of being middle class....

2 comments:

  1. I hope this was at least during your open enrollment so you can change the dollar amount. I can't scream loud enough about what will change with our insurance come Jan. 1st.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, open enrollment is over. I've heard a little about your plan changes. Definitely more frustrating than mine!

    ReplyDelete